Thursday, January 16, 2014

I finally dyed my hair!

Hello everyone! Remember when I mentioned changing up my hair in Is it too late to make New Year's resolutions? Well, I actually have a very much overdue hair update to show y'all today! I actually tried to do myself on the 12th, but I hated the way it turned out and had to wait until today to fix it again. /SIGH

Before I begin explaining what my new hair looks like, keep in mind that I was a hair dye virgin. I had never put any chemicals on it except a relaxer several years ago. My hair was a medium to dark brown, and the picture on your right was actually taken a few minutes before I decided to open the $3 box of L'oreal hair dye I got from Walmart. I went to my friend's dorm to do the deed. My friend's roommate, (who I probably shouldn't have trusted with my hair because she has ruined her hair with box dye and possibly killed a good number brain cells, but I digress back to my point. She mixed bleach into the hair dye, and disaster ensued. I thought I was going to pass out from the chemicals in the dye, and my entire body was stained from the bleach and I seriously thought I was going to dye when a piece of my hair accidentally got into my eye. On top of that, my roots made the "Screw you Camryn; we're not going blonde" message very clear. I'm starting to think there was a reason why they were so stubborn. Not like my hair can talk or anything; that's just weird. I got the bright idea to put straight up bleach on those roots.

This was the aftermath:
And in that moment, I swear I was the real life princess emoji. 👸 Reactions to my unfortunate dye job range from everything from "OMG, what the happened?! Your friends must hate you." to "YES CAMRYN YES! 😍"

I wouldn't be surprised if the people who said they liked my hair were just trying to be nice.

Don't get me wrong, I actually really liked it at one point, but the more I looked at it every day in the mirror, the more I realized it looked yellow and the more I hated it.

The next day, I made an appointment at Salon Rogue in Natchitoches to fix it. I originally wanted my hair darker than my natural hair color, but my friend (the same friend who let me bleach my hair at her dorm) coaxed me into dying it a lighter color. My hair is incredibly close to my natural color, but it is a little bit lighter and has a reddish tint in the sunlight. Since I didn't want to walk out the salon with no change whatsoever, I had Alicia give me side swept bangs. The salon was a little pricey, but you get what you pay for with hair. I paid $65 for the cut and color. This is the final product: ⤗

My hair is actually down to my chest, but the lighting in the picture makes it seem like it's shoulder length. I couldn't be happier with the results!

I learned two valuable life lessons from this experience:
1. Embrace your natural hair color. 
2. Avoid box dye like the plague.

With that being said, have a lovely day! ❥

No comments: